Thursday, March 5, 2009

Wind


When I arrived home from work last night it sounded like Winter, the wind was wooshing through the pine trees and the wind chimes were clanging feverishly. Even the stars were sparkling like a winter eve but the temperature was mild.

The wind chimes play the pentatonic scale, the same as playing just the black keys on the piano.

Reflection:
Wind always reminds me of the book of Ecclesiaties with its dark observations on the meaning of life. This verse is just the beginning of a list of things found to be 'chasing after the wind'
Ecclesiastes 1:14 (New International Version)
"I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind."

3 comments:

  1. Oo oo ... things to get my head again ... that is dark indeed, that quote ... emptiness ... the pentatonic scale ... I like chimes but dont have any ... mmm ... now to the image ...

    How did you do that? How did you get the chimes AND that tree in focus and yet the b/g blurred? Are the chimes and tree in the same plane? The tree is surely further back ... mmm ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shrub and the chimes are not in the same plane. The shrub is probably a metre behind it. The pine trees which you can see in the background are 3 metres or so further back. So I guess the answer is the depth of field was such that it made the foreground items in focus and the others out. I wasn't so much thinking about that as the light. I was shooting into the afternoon light i.e. the sun behind the pines so the chimes were dark. I had tried this shot in the morning with the sun on the chimes but they didn't look good hence choosing a different time of day. In the end I had to alter the exposure a little in post processing to get a more pleasing result.

    By the way, I like Ecclesiaties, the author (said to be King Solomon) was a realist. And comes up with gems like "Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body." Perhaps we should take heed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nah ... I only take heed of wisdom like that when forced! Besides, I reckon that trips into the countryside etc, clear the head sufficiently to go back to bad habits of blogging and reading and researching.

    ReplyDelete