Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tatting



Seeing Jenny's beautiful needlework made me nostalgic for the day's when I found time to make lovely things. She asked to see some of my work so I'll run a series of "Stitching Sundays" to take up the challenge. It's a new type of photography for me ... I see I've got things to learn about indoor lighting.


Today's doily is with liquid amber leaves from the park over the road pressed for a few days in an old book press in my library.

Reflection:
I thought knotting fishing nets was about the closest thing to tatting.
Mark 1:16-18 (New International Version)
"As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him."



5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tatted doily! It is presented so nicely with the beautiful leaves!

    It has been said before that tatting has evolved from netting...which evolved into knotting...which evolved into tatting as we know it.

    I am a tatter also! I'd love it if you came to visit my blog! It's all about the tatting over there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for showing this. It is beautiful. The leaves are too, must be gorgeous in the mountains now with all the leaves turning. I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is tatting a form of crochet? Where does the word tatt come from? Is it related at all to a tattoo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie, other than that it makes lace it's nothing like crotchet. It's a form of knotting, done with a shuttle. From the quick research I did just now the name derives from teeth, the little loops that stick out from the main chains (called picots). Has nothing to do with tatoos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very pretty, but maybe too delicate for my clodhopper hands.

    ReplyDelete