Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Seven years


Clivia's are a hardy plant but I am told they take 7 years to flower. When I was mowing the other day I was surprised to see these plants flowering in a different part of the garden to where I expected them.

I assure you this photo was not taken today. The weather outside is ghastly, a huge dust storm driven by high winds. I have not stuck my nose outside the door all day. I'm so glad it was a day I don't to go to the office.

Reflection:
Genesis 41:25-27 (New International Version)
Then Joseph said to Pharaoh, "The dreams of Pharaoh are one and the same. God has revealed to Pharaoh what he is about to do. The seven good cows are seven years, and the seven good heads of grain are seven years; it is one and the same dream. The seven lean, ugly cows that came up afterward are seven years, and so are the seven worthless heads of grain scorched by the east wind: They are seven years of famine.

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely flower...Taking seven years to show itself. The wait must be worth it.

    Perhaps God is telling us that some things take time. He needs to water us, and look after us for a quite a while...but after the long wait, we will be beautiful...just like this flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cicadas are similar, if I recall.

    Wise to stay inside ... although by lunch time it had mostly blown out of the air. The layer of dust when I got home was a bit much though.

    I'll say it again: poor farmers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wind is blowing even stronger up here tonight and it's cold (like the winter we didn't have) so I'm not sure it's over yet. I agree, poor farmers.

    Yes I understand that Australian cicadas live underground up to 7 years. Overseas varieties apparently spend even longer in the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. De Lly, yes that's what I like about getting older -- it's usually worth the wait :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting older is wonderful, so long as you concentrate on the beauty inside, rather than out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This month (in between bouts 1 and 2 of the flu), I planted seven clivea plants under the native daphne tree .
    Red ones, orange ones and yellow ones - I bought the ones already in flower - I don't have the patience to wait 7 years!
    They look so wonderful planted en masse
    (saw some here:
    http://freefallingskyward.blogspot.com/2007/10/went-to-beach.html )

    ReplyDelete