Friday, February 5, 2010

Songs in the night


From the side verandah at night.

We've been getting an awful lot of wet weather lately, most often it's this misty type of rain making eery shadows night and day. This post also reminds me that I haven't shown much of the pines so I will run a little series over the next few days.

It's a warm calm night.
Possums scratching about,
frogs bopping quietly,
gentle rustle of wind in the pines,
and the lazy tinkle of wind chimes.
A soft lullaby.

Reflection:
Job 35:9-11 (New International Version)
"Men cry out under a load of oppression;
they plead for relief from the arm of the powerful.
But no one says, 'Where is God my Maker,
who gives songs in the night,
who teaches more to us than to the beasts of the earth
and makes us wiser than the birds of the air?'

8 comments:

  1. This post caused a strange thing to happen. I know you are aiming at "senses" and you are not sure whether the lists are achieving the aim. Suddenly my brain gave over all control to my ears, as I read the line about the frogs. In my right ear I heard the constant din of the cicadas, In my left ear I heard the high-pitched whistle of the tinnitus. and yet in the back ground of each, I also heard the music from the radio and the cars taking the dog-leg corner just that bit too hard, and cutting through all that was a horn bellowing from down on the harbour.;

    So something is working ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, fog! We don't get many nights like that down in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beautiful shot ... I could smell the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very eerie...loved it.

    would also love to hear what one of His songs
    sound like...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The beautiful photo gives me a sense of eerie quietnwss but your words bring alive the night noises.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Julie you are supposed to hear the noises at my place not your place!

    We get lots of fog around here both summer and winter ... even more further up the mountain.

    ReplyDelete