Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tradition


Baking muffins for church morning tea.

I'm stirring up memories.
The wooden spoon a gift
from a dear Christian friend.
Mother-in-law's mixing bowl
at Mum's old kitchen table.
The ladies grew old and went to the Lord
but their noble tradition continues in
the smell of freshly baked cake.

Reflection:
Proverbs 31:10, 15, 20 (New International Version)
"A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.

4 comments:

  1. i would so love to enjoy your church
    morning tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These old ways and endeavours are as though from another world - certainly from another era. There is no way that I could do baking or any such, but ... my daughter does. Maybe it just jumps a generation every so often. She put a banana bread up on her FaceBook which looked divine. By the time I get around there, of course, there are only crumbs left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think the muffins will be just that much better because of the memories made with each!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember my Mum baking all that much ... but I do remember both my grandmas baking up a storm. That bowl brings back memories for me ... it's exactly the bowl both my grandmas used ... they had a set of different sizes and they were so well used the outside glaze was covered in tiny cracks! Scones was the speciality of both these women ... and teacakes! Mmmm I can still taste them.

    ReplyDelete