Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Milk



I'm not sure why it seemed like a fun idea to poke around the house looking for green objects ... perhaps I was feeling guilty about being too lazy to go outside.

This little milk jug and pair of deco vases belonged to my mother. I see is is Carlton Ware. The web says Carlton Ware is rather garish tableware often in the form of highly decorated leaves or fruit. Given that this piece is rather subdued and pretty.  More green leaves tomorrow.

Reflection:
1 Peter 2:2 (New International Version)
Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,

6 comments:

  1. I like both the colours and the shapes. "Garish' - tosh! Is Carlton Ware English from between the wars?

    This sort of thing would go very well in certain styles of house decor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - I love them all.
    Garish?
    Must be why I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. my freudian analysis is that you are
    hankering for spring green.

    i love your carlton ware and the art
    deco pieces, too.

    love,
    lea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, it is an English Stoke-on-Trent pottery. Apparently it lasted a century but its high point was between the wars.

    Letty, I knew you would like it. While this piece is typical it is not really garish ... usually it is much more highly coloured and decorated. I have seen Carlton Ware on antique shows and would never have thought I had any until I noticed the imprint of this when I was photographing it.

    Lea, you might be right. Green shoots are beginning to appear in the garden. I will show them after this little series is done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mind that look. It would certainly suit my house which has ornate ceilings and leadlights decorated with flowers.
    Sydney - City and Suburbs

    ReplyDelete
  6. i delight in the soft feeling in this one

    ReplyDelete