Wednesday, October 20, 2010

100 old books


Final Wordy Wednesday Post

I've joined the ebook era and love the ease of always having a book in my handbag to read on the bus. 100 free classics included. It's slow reading because some are very long.  I doubt I will read them all but thus far have read:
* Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
* Anne of Green Gables - Lucy Maud Montgomery
* The Turning of the Screw - Henry James
* Dubliners - James Joyce
* Anna Kareninina - Leo Tolstoy
* Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe
* Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickins
* Middlemarch - George Elliot.  Slow but I am persisting.

It is rather fun rediscovering old writings.

Reflection:
Nehemiah 8:2-3 (New International Version)
So on the first day of the seventh month Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, which was made up of men and women and all who were able to understand. He read it aloud from daybreak till noon as he faced the square before the Water Gate in the presence of the men, women and others who could understand. And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law.

4 comments:

  1. I've read quite a few off that list too. Anna Karenina is a long one, almost as long as Middlemarch. Do persist with the latter though, because it is worth reading once you get into the rhythm of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your reading list is quite impressive. I've been wondering about one of those little hand held readers. Sounds like a great Christmas gift for my bookworm of a daughter! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things I packed poorly for my trip to France was reading matter. Too heavy ...

    ReplyDelete