Wednesday, October 6, 2010

In love


A Wordy Wednesday post

Which Bible to choose from the many I have treasured?

My first given to me when I moved into the big Sunday School aged 8
The tiny red New Testament handed out by the Gideons at high school
The flash new adult Bible received as a Sunday School graduation prize
The fat family Bible given as a wedding gift from my parents
All of these were King James Version.  What of the various translations I have enjoyed since, right through to the ESV version I read today with its lovely tissue thin paper and a soft brown tooled leather cover. Or the multiple translations I have on my iPhone to read on the train in the mornings.

Of all the choices I ran with the the Living Bible that sprung onto the scene in the early 70s.  Reading the word in modern language brought the Bible so amazingly to life for me.

The other reason for making this selection is the inscription ... To Joan, love Ian.  Crikey, it was the day after our first date, how forward is that!


Reflection:
Matthew 4:4 (New International Version)
Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God."

2 comments:

  1. what a wonderful history of your
    life in 'bibles.'

    i love the living, too,but can not
    live with out my NIV.

    ian was very forward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your bibles have wonderful stories of love...

    ReplyDelete