Thursday, November 11, 2010

Remembrance

Wild garden week 5 of 7

On the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month World War 1 hostilities ended and is observed as Remembrance Day throughout Commonwealth countries. Here in Australia is has largely been eclipsed by Anzac Day but is still remembered in a quiet way. So today I am showing you the herb patch with its Rosemary (for remembrance), Chives, Parsley and Thyme. I love fresh herbs. Look the other way and you see the Oregano as well. On the Garden Show they said that if you chop it back it will spring back in no time ... they were not wrong about that, I'm thinking of transferring some it it to places where I need some more ground cover.

Reflection:
Luke 22:19 (New International Version)
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me.”

5 comments:

  1. it must smell heavenly.

    thank you for the tiny history lesson. i
    so enjoy learning more about your
    gorgeous country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely herbs...I would love to be able to smell them. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you hear Jennifer Byrne say on tele the other day - she wore some rosemary for remembrance on 11/11 and no one knew what it was - when she was at the vet with her cat they asked her if it was catnip.

    I love fresh herbs too.
    I think my favourite is thyme.
    Do you have any sage?
    I have a sage plant but I never use it in cooking but it does make a very nice cut flower.
    So do parsley heads.
    See?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26217912@N06/5170555868/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Letty, I didn't hear Jennifer Byrne but they often hand out sprigs of Rosemary in Anzac day. I guess people expect poppies on Remembrance day.

    We have had sage at various times. When it is there I use it in poultry stuffing. The last lot I had got overtaken by the rosemary but I noticed a little bare patch after I weeded the herb garden this weekend and thought I might pop a new plant in.

    I had not thought of using parsley flowers in a floral arrangement but have used other unexpected things from the garden on occasion. I don't pick flowers all that often because I tend to get too busy to care for them and vases of dead flowers are not a good look.

    ReplyDelete