Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Begonias


Begonias are one of my favourite flowers here at Burnbrae.  They flower so willingly and for such a long time, though they do have brittle stems and now the cherry tree is growing bigger are finding the shade a little too dense.


When I first met begonias

"Lil, your children a breaking my begonias again," Grandma grumbled.  

The truth is I cared very little about those tallish plants with spotty leaves, dangly flowers and names like Bleeding Heart and Bethlehem Star -- the perfect match with Grandma's elderly piety. So I wonder what possessed Grandad to paint the path in a candy box of colours and diamond shapes, enticing a little girl's hop-scotchy feet.  

Mounted on the lintel above the gate to that path of great temptation was the yolk from Grandad's bullock team. He was a gentle upright man. His was a team that bent to the will of their bullocky without the need for swearing.

Grandad's Bullock Team


Reflection:
Matthew 11:28-30 New International Version (NIV)
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

5 comments:

  1. takes my breath away ..begonias are so bold and strong yet delicate loooking!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Begonias are such a lovely genus. I keep a couple of them indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother always had an angel wing begonia or two on the window sill. They have a special memory for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a splendid structure this mid-week post has assumed. Linking the present to a wider past that I had thought. I wait expectantly for the bullock team. Hope you did it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahah ... now all the photos are displaying for me.

    Do you know the painting 'Across the Black Soil Plains" ... your Grandad's team to a team. What a lovely image to have in the family.

    ReplyDelete