Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Fire


I found these Nasturtiums on on the weekend, creeping over from the neighbour's side of the fence.

When I first met Nasturtiums
The Grade 1 class laboriously read in unison:

"This is Dick
Run, Dick, run.
Nip is a dog.
Nip, run to Dick.
See Dora run.
Here is Jane.
I see Jane.
Dora has Jane."

Jane was the doll.  Oh how I wished I had been named Jane instead of Joan.

But of all Dick and Dora's Happy Ventures there is one standout -- a man planted a red Nasturtium in an old boot. The plant grew and grew until it covered the roof of his cottage and the neighbours called the fire brigade because they thought his house was on fire.

Nasturtium, what a gloriously long word for a five year old fed on "Run, Dick, run" and as for the idea of flowers growing all over the roof  -- look at the old detached kitchen that stood in our back yard sandwiched between the dunny and the chook house.  It flowered like this every October.



I guess these photos also explain why I have such a fondness for ramshackle backyard sheds.

I've now added photos to the earlier posts.  Click here to view them.

Reflection:
Luke 12:28 New International Version (NIV)
"If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith!"

10 comments:

  1. Nasturtiums bloom with such joyful abandon. What a wonderful old building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what joy for the sense of sight and thought.
    thank you very much !

    please have a good wednesday.


    daily athens photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nasturtiums are in my Top 5.
    I love 'em.
    Such a happy flower.

    I don't remember that story in Dick and Dora.

    Loved seeing all the photos you've attached.
    Holy cow, that was some long bullock team!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeh I reckon Grandad was showing off. Why would you need so many bullocks to pull a couple of logs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. speaking of 'sandwiched in', aren't they
    edible, too?

    i remember dick and jane fondly and
    felt so proud to be able to read them.

    i think joan is a much prettier name,
    though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these remind me of my Grandma's house on the far North Coast of NSW, every time I see them I think of the holidays spent up there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see a dunny bowl in that outside kitchen. I think there were outside kitchens so that the house would have less chance of burning down.

    That vine would weigh a tonne I suspect. Do you know if these out-buildings are still standing? I would not like to be the one to have to clean it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes detached kitchens were to reduce the fire hazard though there as an inside kitchen by the time Mum and Dad bought the place.

    We (me and my brothers and sisters) were the ones who had to clean it up ... but that was relatively easy. It was mostly full of old car parts so we called the scap metal man and he took it away.

    The building is gone now. The weight of the vine would have collapsed it soon enough (the weight of the metal had already collapsed the floor boards) though Mum said it was the vine holding it together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely post, Joan (wannabe "Jane! :-)...

    YOu may wish to link to my Floral Friday Fotos meme if you are posting gorgeous flower photos like the first one!

    ReplyDelete