Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Red and White


I don't have any red roses in my garden.  I actually prefer yellow ones.


When I first met roses
A little black dress might be a wardrobe staple these days but for a schoolgirl in the 1960s a white dress was a must.  And for special occasions, like the school concert or high school speech night, also a perfect red rose bud with feathery fern pinned to the bodice of that best white dress.

Rose bushes bordered the garden, one for each member of the family. The red one was Mum's bush. Mine a scrawny pink one.  The boys claimed the beautiful yellow. The fern grew at the corner of the old wash house.


That's me age 13, in my best white dress and with a swag of academic prizes collected at the high school speech night.  I'm not wearing the red rose bud because this was taken a day or so later.

Reflection:
Isaiah 1:18
“Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.

6 comments:

  1. i love hearing about your family and look
    forward to the photos! your yellow rose
    is exquisite. it soothes my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - yellow ones are my favourite too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both images are displayed for this post. I am not sure why the others have not displayed. I want to see the bullock team.

    I used to have a dress very similar to that. I was in the church choir for a few years. The church was St Matthias at Denman. I may have said this before, but I have a religious sensibility, but am lacking any sense of faith or belief. I just enjoy the trappings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, I too enjoy the trappings .. but for me the faith is what gives them meaning and richness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful young lady you were! I love seeing the old pictures and hearing stories of your family! Carla

    ReplyDelete