Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Clover


Someone said to me the other day, "How do you get rid of clover out of the lawn".  I responded, "I don't because I have grass not lawn."

When I first met clover
At home the grass was a hardy kikuya that sent runners into the garden beds. And there were clumps of clover too.

On hot summer afternoons as the sun began to drop my sister and I would loll on the cool grass, picking the clover flowers and stringing them into necklaces, bangles and halos for our heads.  Then we would run and play with our brother until sunset when Mum would call us in.  I loved those summer evenings.

My little sister Val lolling on the grass in the back yard.

Reflection:
Romans 12:12 New International Version (NIV)
"Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer."

7 comments:

  1. Ah, summer memories. That's the only form of summer we're having this year, looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be awhile before we seen green here. Such a refreshing sight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love clover! I don't ever try to get rid of it. I have many memories of looking for four leaf clovers to bring me luck. Although, now all grown up, I don't believe in luck...it was fun looking for them! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. We did not have grass like this on the farm, but I remember the grass in Hornsby and that was until I was 8.

    What was that cat's name?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most of our cats were called Muma Puss or Puss. But there were are few with there own names, Teana (named after our Great Grandmother but who turned out to be a tom cat), Creamy, Miss Puss and Junior.

    We always had one cat but they invariably got killed crossing the road so also had kittens to step up in to the job of being the next Muma Puss.

    Being country kids (or was it kids of that era) we didn't much fuss about this cycle of loss and replacement.

    Looking at this photo Val and I are unable to identify this particular cat, has similar colouring to Teana but probably isn't him/her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah! I had a Mumma-cat. I adored her, but I also adored our 3 rams and lone rooster.

    I think country kids understand deep within their being, the cycle of life, in a way that city kids will never understand. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete