Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sweet relief


I have been moaning and groaning this week.  The winter is long.  The weather is chill.  The clouds are dulling the sun.  And there are the August winds to get stronger yet.

And then today the clouds cleared, the weather a warm 15C. After church we packed a picnic, went to the lake and basked in the mild sunshine. Even the winds slowed to a brisk breeze.

Then a stroll around the garden and instead of looking for moaning groaning photos of dead leaves I found the sweet fragrance of violets and early daffodils nodding their heads in the warmth.

Reflection:
Psalm 6:6 New International Version (NIV)
"I am worn out from my groaning."

9 comments:

  1. Ah yes, spring is on the way. Think of us with a winter to face, when we haven't really had much of a summer ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do feel for you. Our Summer was wet and cold which makes the winter even harder than normal.

      Delete
  2. Oh those sweet violets Joan. Ours are popping up and I too happened to have a quick and brisk walk around the garden today admiring them. They fill in the spaces so prettily don't they - plus, they don't mind being walked on :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are mostly growing in the lawn (or should I say grass because we don't have what most would describe as lawn). I dodge around them when I mow but I notice many are hardy enough to flower despite me giving them a haircut.

      In the garden bed where they are supposed to be growing I notice the grass is taking over.

      Delete
  3. Lovely! Violets always remind me of my parents house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents had them under the front step. Yes, the remind me of home too.

      Delete
  4. Nothing quite like the early flowers to give the promise of warmer weather to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed watching spring unfold on your blog Paul. I agree the early flowers give hope.

      Delete
  5. A little touch of spring to brighten your spirits. We are beginning to see hints of autumn's approach here.

    ReplyDelete