Sunday, April 6, 2014

Rainforest


This little corner of our garden is like having our own rainforest with magnificent old tree-ferns and small ferns growing in the leaf litter below.  And it's still raining, doesn't seem to know its time for it to stop and let autumn get underway.

Reflection:
Psalm 147:7-11 The Message
"Sing to God a thanksgiving hymn,
play music on your instruments to God,
Who fills the sky with clouds,
preparing rain for the earth,
Then turning the mountains green with grass,
feeding both cattle and crows.
He’s not impressed with horsepower;
the size of our muscles means little to him.
Those who fear God get God’s attention;
they can depend on his strength."

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Joan - until recently I used to have a little rainforest of my own. I now rely on the joy of visiting our childrens' gardens, so your love of that little patch of God's good earth warmed my heart :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my garden but it often disappoints me because I just don't have the time or inclination for its upkeep, that is why the more natural corners are such a pleasure.

      Delete
  2. Fascinating trees and foliage. I've never seen these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found this really interesting. Tree ferns are so much part of our rainforest I guess I just assumed they would be in your rainforest too like ferns but after googling it seems not so. Now I come to think of it the forests I visited in Yosemite, for example, are very different from ours.

      Delete
  3. You're lucky to have a little rainforest corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I count it a great privilege to have a garden with old trees. Many in the garden are nearly as old as the house 100+ years. And a neighbour told me the row of pines at the front were planted 40 years ago when he first moved into the area. We have been here 20 years and the spring flowering trees were newly planted saplings when we moved in.

      I have no idea how old these tree ferns are but my guess is very old because they are the slow growing kind having barely increased in height over 20 years. We have one of the fast growing skinny ones beside the house planted 10 or 15 years ago and it is quite tall now.

      Delete